1GB Windows 10

Everything related to the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems.

Dracula
Administrator
Administrator
Mood:

1GB Windows 10

Post by Dracula »

Guy created a stripped down version of Windows 10 that is ultra-light. Link in Enderman's video discription. I'm not associated with this in any way.

Please note the following before installing:

This is based off Windows 10 Enterprise,
This is not preactivated or cracked in any way,
This is based off an older version of Windows 10,
Windows Update has been removed entirely and so was Windows Powershell,
It doesn't come with any web browsers; one will have to be installed manually through external media,
The installation can also be very buggy.

I really would only run this on older hardware that you probably should not run Windows 10 on. Hard to believe that Windows 10 can be that light though.

Last edited by Dracula on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar fix and information additions.

Formally known as Random American.
Non-Administrator related posts by me do not represent the positions of Broadcastre Computer Chat.

scooter
From phpBB.com
From phpBB.com
Mood:

Re: 1GB Windows 10

Post by scooter »

And swap got turned off? Oof. That's a bit too close to the bare metal for my tastes.

There's still no question that there's a lot of bloat on this OS, though.

SCOOTER

...has left the building!

Dracula
Administrator
Administrator
Mood:

Re: 1GB Windows 10

Post by Dracula »

scooter wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:29 pm

And swap got turned off? Oof. That's a bit too close to the bare metal for my tastes.

There's still no question that there's a lot of bloat on this OS, though.

Well, I think that's optional. It won't be a gigabyte if you don't turn it off, but rather more like two to three gigabytes, but still, that's far lighter than Windows 10 usually is. I never recommend turning off virtual memory as it usually negatively impacts performance.

The biggest problem has to be the complete removal of Windows Update. Restricting it is fine, but complete removal is dangerous. Also, very few people have a Windows 10 Enterprise key to activate this. Sure, that's only a minor inconvenience of personalization, but still. Windows 10 Pro probably would have been a better baseline.

Formally known as Random American.
Non-Administrator related posts by me do not represent the positions of Broadcastre Computer Chat.